Saturday, June 16, 2007

The dog's first boat ride


It was a great idea: Get the dog used to the idea of being on a boat. I had worked on the boat this morning, and it was a nice day. A Saturday, to be sure, with lots of boat traffic on the river, but I wasn't intending to go fast. So I got the leash, and the dog was VERY excited. She knows the leash means we will leave the confines of the fenced part of the yard.


The wife didn't react as positively, in fact, she said, "Its a bad idea, but go ahead and try. I'll be here at home when you get back."


So the dog & I trundled off the short drive to the marina. We walked down the floating piers, and just before we got to our boat, she squatted and did her business. I had to pick up the warm pile and when we reached the boat, put it into a paper towel. I tied her leash to a cleat, and went back to the water spigot to wash my hands. As soon as my back was turned, the neighborhood stray dog, a big old mongrel, snuck behind me and started to check out poor little Jasmine. I didn't know anything was going on until I heard her fall into the water as she was trying to evade the big dog. So I shooed the big dog and fished out my soggy little Yorkie. This was not going so good so far....


I put her into the boat, and she had a hard time waiting for me as I pulled down the canvas and prepared for a short ride. Twice she jumped out and onto the pier. Finally, I was able to untie the boat. At this point, I was bound & determined to run this mission to completion. I ran the blower for a few minutes to insure the engine compartment had no gas fumes, and started the engine. She jumped again, but at least she didn't leave the boat. We rode out to the river at slow speed and she seemed to be enjoying the wind blowing through the open section of the windshield. We turned around, the Saturday traffic on the river was intense as I thought it would be. (Probably the only reasonably sound decision of the afternoon) We motored slowly back to the marina, and I was able to successfully secure the boat and get the dog back to the car without further incident.


The picture shows the stern of the boat and if you click on the picture and magnify it, you'll see her poking her wet head up just above the name of our town.

2 comments:

Burt Likko said...

I'm glad the dog didn't get hurt while swimming on a leash tied up to the pier! Hopefully her next boat ride will work out a little bit better.

Anonymous said...

Arnie,

First time as a blogger.

Looks like you got a nice looking boat.