Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Things on my mind

I am contemplating going back to work. My old employer called and asked me if I was interested in helping to write a proposal. It would be something I can do from home, mostly. And just today, an engineering contract labor firm asked if I was interested in a 1-2 yr assignment in Indianapolis as a Project Manager. Both offer pretty reasonable rates of pay. I want to talk to the firm I am currently helping through a consulting agreement before I actually accept one of these positions, especially the latter.

To be candid, I am feeling a bit useless, just golfing and putzing around. My consulting work is just a couple hours per week, and really doesn't help much in terms of monthly expenses. The financial advisor told me I need to do something for the next couple years to generate some additional income, and I really don't want to be a WalMart greeter, despite the fact that I would be really good at it. Lowe's might be fun, but when I compare the pay rates ($8/hr vs. $45 to $75/hr) the consulting and working out of town sound so much better.

2 comments:

Burt Likko said...

I knew it! You weren't going to stay retired for long. I bet a big part of you just can't wait until vacation's over.

You would be bored with Lowe's. And these days, that's an entire day's worth of work to buy a tank of gas. Besides, aerospace is your lady, and you like to dance with her.

Find a way to do it that lets you work from home. Mom deserves your company. You deserve the mental challenge of the work. There's no reason you both can't have those things.

Unknown said...

If you are thinking about going back to work then that means that you have already made up your mind to do so. Go out, do something... Get a small enjoyable job or volunteer at a community center. If you think you might be bored then you are and there's no shame in that. Most men have a bona fide need to stay active. What would make you different from everyone else? I am glad to hear that you have the energy to stay busy. Frankly, the worry will start when you lose that drive. To be honest with you I was surprised to hear that you retired in the first place! If you want to become a project manager do me a favor and do it in Houston so that you can hire me. haha. I'm still very much alive and well in Iraq but when a reasonable offer comes through in my new adoptive city, I'll be all over it. Remain flexible, that's how you stay free...