Thursday, October 16, 2008

Takin' a ride


It has been a couple weeks since I started work at the new job. This evening, after I'd settled back a bit, I got a call from a coworker to meet for pizza and a beer. Cool enough. We had a nice conversation, and then we went outside and he asked if I wanted to see a bit of Houston. I said sure, so he pointed to his car: a bright blue Viper coupe.

It has been a while since I've driven or ridden in a high performance sports car. And this is the real deal! A V-10 Engine with 8.3 Liters and well over 500 Horsepower. I snuggled in to the well bolstered passenger seat, and away we went. I didn't notice it before, but most of the lights at night seem to blur in long horizontal lines. Houston just streaked by in bursts of effortless and high-G acceleration in this ride. It was very much fun, and I'm glad for once that I wasn't driving. In fact, I think the Viper just may be more car than I can handle, at least when the accelerator is pushed down vigorously. We went around all four leaves of a clover-leaf interchange. There may have been another car attempting to keep up, but when we left the intersection, he was still on the second leaf. The tires never even squealed. I had a thought during one particularly exhilarating accel, that this is what a golf ball must feel like when it leaves the tee.

My coworker asked if I wanted to continue the evening and bar-hop a bit, but I declined, as I my fun-meter was pretty much pegged out at that point. My Toyota Avalon felt a bit stodgy as I drove back to my temporary housing.

1 comment:

Burt Likko said...

I like the new blog title. Fits nicely with this entry.