Friday, February 11, 2011

A big change in Egypt

I have travelled to Egypt many times on business and once for pleasure. On each trip I have been touched by the hospitality and gentility of the people. I have never felt unsafe in Egypt. During most of my trips, at one point or another, traffic was stopped and held at rest while Mr. Mubarek took a ride to get from one place to another. I was often struck by the sheer disregard for the business of running Cairo, for the inconvenience caused to 20,000,000 people because one of them decided he needed to get a caramel latte at the 7-11. Or whatever the reason was.

I believe Mubarak was for the most part a benevolent dictator, but a dictator nonetheless. I am glad he realized that a graceful exit was the most advantageous.

I hope the upcoming elections are spirited and provide some choices for the Egyptian people. I hope to go back again someday and enjoy their smiles, their culture, their history. They added an important chapter today.

No comments: