Thursday, March 29, 2007

Spring time in TN






My first Spring in Tennessee is very nice. I am amazed at how early in the year it has started, but am certainly appreciating the warm temperatures. The Bradford Pears have bloomed and are leafing out, the Dogwoods and the Red Buds are still getting started. I've had to mow the yard twice already this year. The weeds we have that stand in for rel grass are doing well, although the clover is growing thick enough to slow the blades on the mower.
As I drive around, I am also noticing how many people are fishing in the lakes created by the dams of the TVA. I read in the Knoxville newspaper that the Crappies are what are being fished. Good eating. But I also read that the TVA said we've not had very much precipitation this last winter, I am wondering whether that means the water level in Ft. Loudoun Lake will stay low?

1 comment:

Burt Likko said...

Spring was my favorite time in Tennessee, too, for all the reasons you mention.

The lake will probably stay low but not because of low rain. Remember, the TVA was created for three purposes -- to provide jobs, to provide electricity, and most of all, to provide flood control. Low lakes are less likely to flood in the event of rain, and draining the entire system from Knoxville to Martin in anticipation of a big storm takes several days.